Transforming table from meh to yeah! with epoxy

So… we tried out reclaiming an old outdoor glass table and turning it into our own creation. I am going to start out by saying “AWESOME” but give you the details of our adventure. Total time to do this was about an hour and about 100 dollars in material to start. (I don’t meant total, we still have roughly 3/4 of the epoxy left) We bought some copper powder from amazon and 1 gallon of epoxy resin (1/2 gallon epoxy 1/2 hardener), and 50 grams of glow in the dark powder(green).  Here is what it looked like when we started.

Original Table

We had a ton of fun doing this project, We had no idea what we were doing but if you scroll through the pics, it actually came out exactly the way we thought it would.. Unexpected phenomenally so. 

We had to work through some issues: First… Level your workpiece LOL. OMG this was the bane of our existence after the fact. When working with epoxy it levels itself. If your workpiece isn’t level, your finished product will not be. Duh!!!!!

Equipment… The brushes we used to tamp things down a bit and work the material were cheap. Our suggestion is to use better brushes that won’t leave hairs in the way or possibly use sponge brushes. We’re going to test sponge brushes on our next run to see if they don’t devolve when you mix the epoxy/hardener. We will update this post as soon as we have more info on that! I’m a little concerned about air bubbles in the epoxy using sponge brushes, but they are super cheap. We’ll see!

Taped table

The first thing we did… protect what we didn’t want getting covered in resin. We didn’t feel like we needed to change the finish on the table, so we just covered it with painters tape. Resin…. the stuff doesn’t die, never use it, meh….. It’s like the puppy dog we have, Logan AKA #CaninusDestructus.. Horrible dog, but we can’t get rid of him. (girlfriend keeps saying no… Don’t want to get rid of her so the dog stays put.. /sigh)

UPDATE December 7th, 2017: Well, hmmm.. It seems that epoxy needs a warmer temperature to cure than what is in the house. It has been a little cold here lately and we don’t usually turn the heater up past 72 deg. Still a little tacky after a few days of curing, But it still looks great. It seems as though I may have been a little aggressive with the torch in one spot and I see some curling in the finish, but nothing a little sand paper and compound couldn’t take care of.

Up close of epoxy treatement